The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies manages the shaRED portal. Your use of the portal and any materials contained on it are governed by these Terms and Conditions and other IFRC Policies (as indicated below).
1.1 By accessing and using our portal you agree to be bound by these general Conditions of Use (“Conditions”), which you declare you have read and understood.
1.2 The IFRC reserves the right to amend or change these Conditions at any time, at its sole discretion. You should consult them regularly to keep yourself informed of any changes. 1.3 Please note that some of the content on the portal may be upsetting for some people: be it the images themselves or the terms used that reflect the practices of the time. The IFRC cannot guarantee that you will not be exposed to this content if you visit this site.
2.1 The portal and its content are provided as is and as available. The IFRC gives no guarantee, whether express or implied, as to the quality or availability of the portal or its content or their fitness for a particular purpose, and you agree not to rely on any such guarantee.
2.2 The IFRC makes no representation or warranty that (i) the portal or its content will meet your needs, (ii) the portal service will be uninterrupted, punctual, secure or error-free, (iii) the results obtained by using the portal will be accurate or reliable, or that (iv) any error of content will be corrected.
2.3 You specifically acknowledge that the IFRC is not liable for the contents of or your (or others) conduct on the portal. You agree to use it at your own risk.
2.4 Further, you undertake to indemnify the IFRC, its partners and employees, from and against any and all liabilities, losses, damages, claims, penalties, fines, fees and expenditure, including but not limited to reasonable lawyers' fees, arising out of: (i) your use of or access to the portal, including but not limited to any content thereof, or your connection to the portal, or (ii) your failure to comply with any of the provisions set out in these Conditions.
2.5 You acknowledge and expressly agree that the IFRC is not liable for any direct, consequential, incidental, particular or resulting damage, nor any punitive damages, including, inter alia, damages for loss of earnings, loss of customers, loss of enjoyment, loss of data or other intangible benefits (even where the IFRC has been notified of the possibility of damage) resulting from:
• the use of the portal or the impossibility of using it,
• the cost of purchasing replacement goods or services arising from any goods, data, information or services purchased or obtained or messages received, or transactions concluded by means of or from the portal,
• unauthorized access to your data transmissions or the alteration thereof,
• statements by or the behaviour of any third party on the portal,
• results given on the portal or any portals linked to it or any documents published on it,
• any infringement of the rights of third parties, in particular copyright, related rights or the rights of the individual, whether directly or indirectly linked to the use of the portal or its content,
• any shortcomings in the archives ordered, or
• any other issue relating to the portal.
Contents of the portal
3.1 Downloadable audio-visual archives and their references are described and available on the portal. The archives’ features and illustrations are given for information only. The IFRC does not guarantee that an archive matches its description or its illustration.
3.2 If you need files in different digital formats from those featured, please contact us. In responding to your request, the IFRC will do its best to supplement what is offered online.
3.3 As far as possible the IFRC will send you these files in electronic format free of charge, provided the formats you request are available and provided they are of a size that can be sent by email.
4.1 The IFRC authorizes those using the portal to download its content for personal, non-commercial use only.
4.2 You may (subject to these Conditions):
• use photos online and for print; • use sequences from films or videos in new productions;
• use audio tracks in new productions.
4.3 You may not under any circumstances:
• sell the content of this portal (photos, film/video footage, sound recordings or their descriptions);
• incorporate the content into any database (commercial or otherwise); or
• change how a film or video is edited.
4.4 You undertake not to infringe any legal provisions and not to use the portal for any illegal purpose; not to introduce any false, incomplete or inaccurate information into it; not to introduce any virus, Trojan horse or any other program designed to cause damage, produce a harmful effect, or intercept or counteract any system, piece of data or personal information.
5.1 You do not need to register in order to consult the documents on the portal. However, to access the downloading function you do need to register and set up an account. You undertake to provide correct, accurate, up-to-date, complete information about yourself, as requested by the required registration form. You agree that the IFRC may, at its sole discretion, prevent your use of the portal and remove and/or delete any record from this portal or request removal from any public platform – in particular if the IFRC considers you have breached a provision of these Conditions or if your access to the portal compromises (or may compromise) its security – without prejudice to the other means available to the IFRC in the event of an infringement of these Conditions.
5.2 The following, though not exhaustive, are considered as breaches of the Conditions: • Any action that may prejudice the IFRC’s impartial, neutral and independent humanitarian work; • Any alteration of the content of the portal, or related references, in any way whatsoever; • Failure to cite the source, the authors, the title or the caption, the date and the reference of any materials contained on the portal.
5.3 The IFRC may also withdraw the portal or any part of it, at its sole discretion and at any time, with or without notice. You agree that your access to the portal may be suspended without notice, by virtue of any provision in these Conditions. You further agree that the IFRC shall not be answerable in any way to you or to a third party for any cancellation of your access to the portal.
Intellectual property rights
6.1 The portal and its content (texts, images, sound, photos, film footage, music, data, logos, brands, software, etc.) are protected by intellectual property rights, in particular copyright and related rights, and by rights vested in individuals, in particular the right to control the use of one’s voice and one’s image. The portal and its contents are the exclusive property of the IFRC and/or of the rights-holders.
6.2 The IFRC has made every reasonable effort to clarify copyright and find the rights-holders for certain documents about which it had doubts. If, while using the portal, you should become aware of a potential violation of the above rights or any other rights, please contact us immediately. The IFRC undertakes to remove provisionally, and as quickly as possible, any contentious record brought to its attention.
6.3 Where one of the above rights, or any other right, is infringed – and in particular where rights-holders have put forward a valid objection to the use of the contentious record on the portal – the IFRC undertakes to remove the contentious record from the portal for good.
7.1 IFRC may collect and use information on visitors to this portal. By using the portal you agree that personal data may be collected and used in accordance with this Policy, which may be altered, supplemented, withdrawn or updated without notice. portal for good.
7.2 We collect personal data about you when you provide it through the portal, for example when you register, whether you are asking for information or interacting more generally with this website. portal for good.
7.3 We collect the following personal data: portal for good.
• your surname, first name and email address, your line of work, the name of your organization, your position, and details of your location; portal for good.
• replies you give to any surveys, which we may use for statistical purposes; messages you send us, for example to point out a problem or comment on the portal’s subject-matter; portal for good.
• details of your visits to the portal, including, but not limited to, statistics about how frequently you consult it, what resources you use (for example your IP address, the date and time you accessed the portal, the URL you visited, the portal of origin, type of browser and operating system). portal for good.
7.4 As noted above, registration is not necessary to use the portal. However, just by visiting the Portal, certain data (for instance, your Internet Protocol “IP” addresses), that could be considered Personal Data, may still be collected and processed. portal for good.
7.5 This information is used to improve our service, process invoices, compile statistics (including on consultation) and to communicate with you. More specifically, it is used: portal for good.
• to reply to your requests for information; portal for good.
• to enable you to use the portal’s interactive functions (e.g. download data, save files); portal for good.
• to provide services or give help portal for good.
• to improve our website, communication, products and services; to compile statistics on consultation, on the downloading of documents available on the portal; portal for good.
• to maintain the security and integrity of the portal; and portal for good.
• to ensure that the portal’s contents are presented in the way that suits you best. portal for good. For further information on how IFRC processes personal data, you may consult our Policy on the Protection of Personal Data portal for good.
8.1 Nothing herein shall constitute or be considered to be a limitation upon or a waiver of the IFRC’s privileges and immunities, which are specifically reserved.
8.2 The IFRC reserves the right to alter or shut down the portal (or any part of it) temporarily or for good, with or without notice. You agree that the IFRC shall not be answerable to you or to any third party for any alteration to or suspension or cessation of the portal or service. Any part of the content may be obsolete at any time without the IFRC's being in any way bound to update this content.